Sunday, March 24, 2019

Makeup

I had spent additional money on makeup materials in order to make everything look realistic and amazing.
However, one error I committed which I completely regret is not using spirit gum.
I used Graftobian modeling wax in order to create the wound, as seen here:
I had used this wax before, but for some reason, it was incredibly hard to use the day of filming. The makeup took me half an hour because I had to keep re-doing the wound. The wax would stick to me, the spatula, or anything except for the actor. It became even worse when chunks kept falling off and I would have to keep re-sticking it.
At the end, once I had fixed everything, it looked pretty good! I had added texture and blended it into the actor's skin with NYX "Stay Matte but Not Flat" powder foundation. However, that did not last long. One the actor got into the tub, it all went pretty  fine until we put the fake blood on him. Then, the would literally fell off of his skin. It ended up looking like this in the final cut:
In my opinion, that looks absolutely terrible. However, we did not have time to re-do the wound. Therefore, before shooting, we kept putting more fake blood that was dark enough to cover it up. Although you can see it in the opening, it is not too noticeable that it is destroyed. It is also very much implied that there is a wound where the blood is dripping from. 
Next time, I will be more careful and buy spirit gum. I suspect the corn syrup we used in the blood may have caused it to slip off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

That's all folks!

All these weeks of prep finally led up to this one final product. Without further ado, here is the movie opening "When We Keep Silent&...